Monday, 15 April 2013


Chapter 53

Artabhaga turned in bed and found the light of dawn entering into the dimly lit cottage. Yajnyawalkya was not there beside him. Artabhaga looked around the cottage. There was stark simplicity inside but outside the cottage it was lush green. The austerity of the inside remained out of sight when you entered the courtyard that nestled in the lap of the forest.

Yajnyawalkya returned from his morning ritual of offering obeisance to the Sun by reciting the Gayatri mantra. He found Artabhaga waiting for him. Artabhaga bent to touch his feet and said, "I am grateful to you for the patience and understanding. Please forgive me if I have offended you in the process of learning. May I take your leave now? I want your blessings before I leave," saying this, he bowed again.

Yajnyawalkya stroked his head gently.
"Stay pure in heart and mind," he said, "Retain your love for Shakalya, but discard the grief. It is difficult, I know.....But our journey of this world extends beyond this one life that we know. Our souls have a long way to go. Do not be afraid of the journey," said Yajnyawalkya. Artabhaga had no words. After a pause Yajnyawalkya asked, "Where will you go now?"
Artabhaga said, "I am a mendicant; I have no destination."
Yajnyawalkya looked at him closely.
"This man has lived by himself long enough," thought Yajnyawalkya.
"Then come with me," said Yajnyawalkya to Artabhaga. "There is a destination and a mission for you."
Artabhaga looked at him in wonder. Yajnyawalkya clarified, "I shall be leaving Videha soon. I want you to take my place here."
Artabhaga gave a detached smile.
"I have chosen this way of life without fetters. I don't think I can do justice to any kind of commitment," said Artabhaga. "Besides, there is no peace for me in Videha. It is too impersonal for me. I cannot relate  with it. It is a city of strife."

Looking meditatively at Artabhaga, Yajnyawalkya remembered his spontaneous and innocent question of the day before, "Are you happy being with me?" The simplicity of the question had touched Yajnyawalkya when it was asked. 

Artabhaga was looking away somewhere.

"Will you accompany me to my hometown?" asked Yajnyawalkya tentatively.

Artabhaga looked at him in surprise..Yajnyawalkya said, "In fact, I should not be asking you, but I can claim the right to command you. You are going to come with me to my hermitage back home.'

Artabhaga looked at Yajnyawalkya in disbelief. The next moment there were tears in his eyes. He realized that all along in his lonely life, he wanted to be claimed. There is joy in the knowledge that there is someone who has taken away your freedom. There is someone who says,"I am your owner, because none can understand you better than I."

He kept looking at Yajnyawalkya. Yajnyawalkya said, "You don't seem to believe me. I mean what I say!"

Yjanyawalkya said,"I assure you; you won't be an intruder. You will be a part of the family."

Aratabhaga had no inclination to refuse. Yajnyawalkya was watching his response Artabhaga bowed in acceptance and said,"As you wish, my Master!"
  

No comments:

Post a Comment