Chapter 2
Katyayani saw
Maitreyi rapt in silence. Her observation never failed her when it came to
interpreting Maitreyi's spells of silence. As always, she could sense
Maitreyi's misgivings. The two women had been co-wives long enough to divine
the slightest tremor in each others hearts. It was the most unusual kind of
kinship.
Maitreyi
tried to evade the question in Katyayani's eye. But Katyayani had a way of
finding out everything. Not even Yajnyawalkya with his studied detachment could
ever elude her.
Katyayani
thrust her finger under Maitreyi's chin and forced her to confront. Maitreyi
smiled wearily and looked away. Katyayani shook her head in exasperation.
“I know what
you are thinking of!” said Katyayani reproachfully.
“Indeed? You
always do!” said Maitreyi with a feigned amusement.
“Now, don't
tell me you are not thinking of Gargi.”
'There is no
deceiving you Katya! Whoever has tried it should ask me!”
“Then I am right;
am I not? Silly!”
“What?”
“To have
been married to Yajnyawalkya and continue to torment yourself like that!”
“I admire
you Katya! Sometimes I feel you are greater than all those sages at Janaka's
court. What do they know of pain?”
“We are not
talking about sages. I am talking about you. What is it that you fear?”
“Katya, I
fear nothing. I don't fear human beings; I fear Time.”
“Don't talk
in riddles. You know how I hate to solve riddles.”
“Katya, I
know Yajnyawalkya....”
“But you do
not know Gargi. Is that what you want to say?”
“Katya, I
know her. I know her the moment I look into Yajnyawalkya's distraught eyes.”
“What do
they tell you?”
“Katya, she
has the power which you and I can never hope to have!”
“And gods
forbid, I don't wish to acquire such power if I understand you right!”
Both of them
faced each other, and faced the knowledge they shared. Then words came forth
from Maitreyi after a great effort.
“Yajnyawalkya
had never belonged to us. We had realized and accepted that long ago. But now,
he won't belong to himself.”
At this,
Katyayani went up to Maitreyi and hugged her, more like a mother than a friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment